Monday, December 15, 2008

Let me inside your brain. Not all the time, only when you're reading something I wrote. Specifically, lyrics. I want to test a theory that lyrics lose their impact without music. Lyrics are not to be confused with poetry. Poetry has a different flow than lyrics. Poetry is written to be read, leaving the reader to provide his or her own emphasis and inflection, whereas lyrics are written to be heard with specific inflection, tone, and emphasis provided by the singer.

Consider the lyrics to a song I wrote a few years back:

"Devil's Net"

This blood flows cold
Through veins of steel
In these eyes
Burns the face of death
Lucifer

This mouth
Preaches words of doom
And these hands
Will steal the life out of all
Who stand before them

Short and sweet, no? But the impact is all but lost without the music, inflection, and tone to back it up. If not lost, definitely changed.

My point? I want what I write to impact whoever reads it. I want to impart what I feel. I suppose that's the point of any type of art. Unless you're just trying to show off.

No comments: